11.29.2010

Meet the Crafters: Joanna Close art in fibre

Less than a week until the show! Today's Crafter is Joanna Close of art in fibre.

What do you make? I make hand dyed and hand woven blankets and scarves. I also make hand drawn and painted cards.

What is your process? For the woven pieces I start with a landscape and begin preparing and dyeing yarns. Then I proceed with weaving the piece on the loom, working as I go to create a landscape.


How long have you been a crafter? ...for as long as I can remember! I was the kid who did craft projects at my birthday parties!

Why do you do what you do? I have always made things so I think it's just a habit. I need to do things with my hands to feel content.

What is your background/How did you get started? It started as a hobby when I was young. Then I did an undergraduate degree in Textiles and continued with a masters degree in textiles and fibre art.
When you're not selling at Crafters markets, where can I find your work? you can find it at Seeds Gallery, love,me boutique, my own studio - North Pocket Studio (send me an e-mail if you are interested in visiting) and Handworks Gallery (Saint John, NB).




How long have you been involved with Halifax Crafters? Since 2008
What makes Halifax Crafters different from other shows? I think the variety of work and the fact that everything is made locally and by the individual selling it.

What are you excited about seeing at the Holiday market? I'm excited for Kat Miller's newest work! and Caitlin Purcell too.


Where do you do your work? At my house and studio

What kind of music do you listen to while you work? usually cbc radio 1 and 2

A place you love? the forest where i am from in new brunswick

What inspires you? landscapes and delicious food

Something you can't live without? my quilts that my grandmother made


An artwork or artist you love? anna von mertens, ink and spindle
Favourite time of the year? tricky, december or july

Three things you need in order to create? pen, yarn, dye

A film or book you love? the trouble with harry

What's your favourite way to procrastinate? snacking


No comments: