11.30.2010

Meet the Crafters: Anne Pryde

Today's Crafter is Anne Pryde, a volunteer organizer who has been with Crafters since its early days at the Khyber.

What do you make? Wheel thrown and hand built utilitarian pottery

What is your process? Most of my work begins on the pottery wheel where it is thrown and altered. Many pieces are thrown in two or three parts and assembled. All of my glazes are food safe, dishwasher durable, and microwave friendly. I design my glazes in the studio wearing a big lab coat, respirator and gloves. When pieces are decorated and glazed they are fired to cone 6 in an electric kiln.

Why do you do what you do? I do what I do, because I can't imagine doing anything else. I'm fully addicted to clay.


What is your background/How did you get started? I studied Ceramics at NSCAD University then went on to apprentice with two local potters before starting my own full time business in 2006.

When you're not selling at Crafters markets, where can I find your work? Love, Me Boutique on Birmingham street in Halifax and Linens for Life in Chester NS

What is your involvement in organizing the show involvement? This time around I had the task of CKDU Liaison, coffee finder , and meeting catering

How long have you been involved with Halifax Crafters? since February 2005

What makes Halifax Crafters different from other shows? It is organized by a group of volunteers so costs are kept low for participants and no entry fee is charged. There is live music, a fantastic view from the balcony and it is small enough to be comfortable but big enough to see lots of super art.

What are you excited about seeing at the Holiday market? I'm excited to eat yummy things, and do all the Christmas shopping for my family in one place.


Where do you do your work? In an converted basement rec room in my house. There is a lovely tropical beach scene mural taking up all the walls painted by the previous owners kids

What kind of music do you listen to while you work? Mostly folk and indie rock.

A place you love? My Great Grandmother's homestead in Tatamagouche NS

What inspires you? Everything

Something you can't live without? music

An artwork or artist you love? There is so much great work coming out of Halifax Crafters members, but if I had to just pick one body of work it would be Rilla Marshall's crop and pesticide statistical weavings.

Favourite time of the year? August (I'm a Leo)

Three things you need in order to create? time, tea, and sunshine

What's your favourite way to procrastinate? cooking, baking and canning food.


No comments: