4.25.2011

Meet the Crafters: Jerry Walsh

Meet Jerry Walsh of Distinctive Garden Accents:

What do you make?

I make decorative accents for gardens or outdoor spaces - birdhouses, feeders, bathouses, benches, suet feeders, coatracks (for outdoor walls or decks), signs, obelisks, squirrel feeders and weather vanes. The list is unlimited, based on new ideas and customers desires.


What is your process?

I use as much driftwood and old greying wood as possible, so the look and feel of the wood sometimes dictates what gets built that day. Gnarled driftwood, natural knot holes, wood with flaked paint or well worn driftwood boards determine the next piece.


How long have you been a crafter?

As "Distinctive Garden Accents", I have been active for three years. But I have been cutting and shaping wood for the past twenty five.


Why do you do what you do?

It is the perfect combination of my two favourite hobbies - wood working and gardening. I only make pieces that I would put into my own garden.

How did you get started?

In the eighties, my wife owned and operated a craft supply business, operating out of our home. Part of the mix was tole supplies and teaching classes. I cut all of the wood for general sale and for the classes as well. I had all of the tools and when I decided to leave a full time job, I wanted to do something that I would enjoy and would become a small business into the future. Voila!




When you're not selling at Crafters markets, where can I find your work?

It can be found at Jennifer's on Spring Garden Road, Walkers Seed in Cole Harbour, Acadian Maple Products on the Peggy's Cove Road, Crossroads Gifts in Tantallon, Mother Hubbards in Hubbards and One Sky Now in Mahone Bay.


How long have you been involved with Halifax Crafters?

This is my first show.

What makes Halifax Crafters different from other shows?

It seems to work like a cooperative. All hand made items and not the imported commercial products. I really like the idea of keeping the booth/advertising fee low and no admission fee for the public. It has a community feel to it.


What are you excited about seeing at the spring market?

Families out for the day, finding that special treasure. Warm weather after a cold winter brings people out with a great attitude.






Where do you do your work?

I work from home. I have converted our large garage into a workshop.


What kind of music do you listen to while you work?

Mostly jazz. Also rock, world, bluegrass and modern country.


A place you love?

My backyard with large gardens surrounding a large pond with many fish.


Favourite time of the year?

Right now, for the next three months!


Three things you need in order to create?

Wood, screws, power tools.


A favourite quote?

Live today like it is your last. It might be.


What's your favourite way to procrastinate?

Put on a great jazz cd. Pour a glass of red wine. Relax, preferably next to the pond.

No comments: